IN-PERSON CERAMIC SCULPTURE COURSE: RECLINING NUDE
NOVEMBER 16-19, 2021 (Tuesday-Friday)
IN-PERSON CERAMIC SCULPTURE COURSE: Reclining Nude
NOVEMBER 16-19, 2021 (Tuesday-Friday)
THIS COURSE IS FULL, PLEASE EMAIL [email protected] TO BE ADDED TO THE WAITING LIST.
9am-3pm instruction with studio access from 8am-10pm
$780 / 6 students
ALL LEVELS WELCOME
Location: Córdova Studios, Bakersville (Penland), NC
In this four-day hands-on course, we will create a full reclining nude using slabs of clay and simple paper patterns. The class will offer an opportunity to learn about every part of the body without the need for armaures or external supports.
We will cover:
- How to make figurative components using patterns and how to create your own patterns.
- How to use photographic references as blueprints to support the creation of a sculpture.
- How bony and fleshy landmarks, alignments, and rhythms are involved in creating a balanced and dynamic figurative composition.
- How to clean and refine your piece.
- How to use pigmented slips and underglazes to develop the surface before bisque.
- How to fire your work for best results (including drying and firing schedules).
- Clay and favorite stainless modeling tools
- Comfortable workspace with turntables and daily studio access from 8:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Printed patterns and photographic references
- Plastic to cover work
- Lectures exploring figurative ceramics and my personal trajectory with clay
- 2 months of free access to all online lessons and our virtual classroom
- Morning and afternoon tea and coffee with fresh fruit
- Light lunch
After the class, you will have the option to take your pieces or arrange for them to be fired and shipped directly to you. We will provide a form on the last day of class to get your details and offer a shipping quote for approval.
- Travel and lodging. For more information about finding lodging traveling to Penland please click here.
- Cost of shipping bisque fired work. Feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any questions
Cristina Córdova earned a Master of Fine Arts in Ceramics from the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University, the nation’s #1 program for ceramic studies. She completed a three year artists residency program at Penland School of Craft, a premier center for the study of contemporary craft, where she later served on the board of trustees from 2006 to 2010.
Cristina was the recipient of USA Artist Fellowship, a $50,000 grant awarded through nomination to leaders in the field of craft.
She also received an American Crafts Council Emerging Artist Grant, a North Carolina Arts Council Fellowship, a Virginia Groot Foundation Recognition Grant and several International Association of Art Critics Awards.
Cristina has taught and demonstrated at the Office for the Arts at Harvard, the University of California at Long Beach, the University of Nebraska, the University of Georgia at Athens, the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, Ceramistas de Reñaca in Chile, the Australian National University in Canberra, Gaya Ceramics in Bali, Penland School of Crafts (NC), Haystack Mountain School (ME), Santa Fe Clay (NM), Mudfire (GA) ,Odyssey Center for Ceramics (NC) and Anderson Ranch (CO), among other institutions. Her work is part of the permanent collections of the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum (Washington, D.C.), the Fuller Craft Museum (MA), the Everson Museum (NY), the Mint Museum of Craft and Design (NC), the Museum of Contemporary Art of Puerto Rico (PR), the Museum of Art of Puerto Rico (PR), and the Joseph-Schein Museum (NY).
Chosen to be a Mainstage presenter during the annual NCECA conference, the largest gathering around the education and promotion of contemporary ceramics in the United States, Cristina was also featured on the cover of Ceramics Monthly. In addition, she was selected by the Canadian company Format as the subject for a mini-documentary: https://www.format.com/magazine/video/cristina-cordova In 2020, Cristina was highlighted in the Identity episode of PBS's Craft in America : https://www.pbs.org/video/identity-episode-y7dnxh/
She currently lives and works in Penland, NC.
WEBSITE : cristinacordova.com