IN-PERSON CERAMIC SCULPTURE COURSE: THE FULL FIGURE
Standing Figure Slab construction: feet to head, part by part NOVEMBER 9-13, 2021 (Tuesday-Saturday)
HANDS-ON COURSE: THE FULL FIGURE
Slab construction, feet to head, part by part
THIS COURSE IS CURRENTLY FULL. PLEASE EMAIL [email protected] TO BE PLACED ON THE WAITING LIST. GRACIAS!
NOVEMBER 9-13, 2021 (Tuesday-Saturday)
9am-3pm instruction with studio access from 8am-10pm
$950 / 6 students
Location: Córdova Studios, Bakersville (Penland), NC
ALL LEVELS WELCOME
In this class we will work on developing a 25" full figure in clay through the use of slabs and simple patterns. This flexible method can be adapted to articulate any gesture at different scales. Pieces will be developed on a simple armature system and bisque fire is included.
We will cover:
- How to make figurative components using patterns and how to create your own patterns.
- How to use photographic references as blueprints to support the creation of a sculpture.
- How bony and fleshy landmarks, alignments, and rhythms are involved in creating a balanced and dynamic figurative composition.
- How to clean, vent and refine your piece.
- How to use pigmented slips and underglazes to develop the surface before bisque.
- How to fire your work for best results (including drying and firing schedules).
- Favorite stainless modeling tools
- Comfortable workspace with turntables and daily studio access from 8 am -10 pm
- Two sets of patterns and printed photographic references
- Plastic to cover work
- Lectures exploring figurative ceramics and my trajectory with clay
- 2-month free access to all online lessons(1-3) and virtual classroom
- Morning and afternoon tea and coffee with fresh fruit
- Light lunch
- Bisque firing
- Travel and lodging. For more information about finding lodging traveling to Penland please click here.
- Cost of shipping bisque fired work.
Feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any questions!